Monday, October 4, 2010

Cockroaches Could Save People


Recently, scientists have been doing research and found that the ground-up brains of cockroaches could actually help save peoples lives. Inside their head, there are chemical compounds that could help kill many infectious diseases, like E. Coli and MRSA. Both of these are really hard to treat, and cause a lot of problems for the people who get them. Using the cockroach brains could really help them. Scientists say that right now, cockroaches are still nasty insects but in the future it may be possible to go to the pharmacy and pick up some cockroach brains to help with that infection.

I think that this new discovery is kinda gross, but if we need to do this in order to save peoples lives then we should. The idea of putting cockroach brains into my body just creeps me out, though, and I'd rather have alternative options to this. I think that scientists should work on different ways to save people from these diseases, because a lot of people probably wouldn't be willing to take this medicine. I would also be kind of scared that the cockroach had some sort of disease, and by taking it I could get something.

1) If you were faced with the option of taking cockroach brains to help fight off a dangerous infection that other medicines couldn't help with, would you? Why or why not?

2) Do you think that in the future, you will actually be able to go to CVS, Walgreens, or some other sort of pharmacy and pick up some of this? Or does that not seem realistic? Why or why not?

3) Do you think there could be any dangers associated with doing this? What are they?

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/63806/title/FOR_KIDS_Cockroaches_could_be_good_medicine

3 comments:

  1. I believe this is a great medical breakthrough. Sure, it sounds disgusting to but cockroach brains in your body, but keep in mind that they are treating very difficult-to-treat diseases. Also, it is unlikely that they would be delivivered as straight-up cockroach brains, so you probably wouldn't go into a pharmacy and ask for that, as it would likely be sampled into some other formula. I know that I would try it if I had a disease it could treat, because you always miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Of course there could potentially be dangers; anything could be dangerous. But think about it, would you rather have MRSA and be forced to walk around with a mask on, or suck it up and take the cockroach brains?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a good thing the scientists have done. I know that it sounds disgusting to use a cockroach's brain, but when you think about it do you really know what they put in other vacsines that treat other disease? I would allow them to use the cockroach's brain on me. I don't believe that you would be able to just go to a pharmacy and just get it without a doctors perscription. I do think it is posible because if it can be helpful then most likely people would invest into it. Since this is so new there is still so much that we need to learn about it. I think there could be dangeres but there are a lot of medicine that is dangeres to us if used not properly. Also do you know any type of medicine that havs no negetive effects?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this is a smart but gross procedure. Where in your body would the cockroach brain go? In your heart? Stomach? Other organ? Also, how would the brain get in your body? Would you just eat it? Or would it be surgically inserted? If you have to eat it, would they turn it into somesort of pill or liquid? Or would you have to eat it just the way it is? Another question I have is what are the negative side effects? Like any other new medication, there is still so much to learn and discover about this procedure. I would definately need to know the answers to some of these questions before I take it. In the end, like I said earlier, it is a smart ideas, since cockroaches tend to live for a really long time, however, the idea of eating a cockroach brain is a little nasty to me.

    ReplyDelete