Tuesday, October 26, 2010

High Winds Destruct A Wide Area


Tuesday morning, a huge storm went into the Midwest with winds exceeding 70 miles per hour. This rainstorm was so strong that scientists said it was capable of embedding tornadoes. In Missouri, there have been reportings of damage from falling trees and severe winds. This storm covered a huge area, in Illinois someone reported a huge tornado ripping off their roof and almost collapsed their whole house. In Chicago, Illinois, the airport had to close due to high winds and rain passsing through the area resulting in over 125 flights being cancelled. Fortunately, there were no serious injuries that are known of so far.
My opinion on this is that there needs to be things done to clean up the area. The government has a responsibility to take care of cities and people after a natural disaster. Although it may cost some money, it is neccessary to be done. They can't just deny people of support in getting their lives back together. I know that if my house and town had been affected by this terrible event, I would be furious if the government decided not to help me.
1) Do you think the government should spend money on helping these people whose homes have been ruined, or should they come up with the money himself?
2) How do we prevent things like this happening by surprise? Should scientists work on finding out how to predict these more accurately and to the actual extent they are going to happen?
3) Does the airport have an obligation to give a refund to those whose flights were cancelled? How do you think they should get this money? Should they have to resort to getting it from taxpayers?
The picture included shows the tornado and how destructive high winds can be.
Link: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/26/midwest.weather/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29
Author: CNN Wire Staff
October 26, 2010 10:41 a.m. EDT

3 comments:

  1. I think the government should help these people. They cannot just be expected to come up with money to recover on their own. Perhaps even an organization like the Red Cross could help with recovery. Sure, tornadoes happen all the time, but that fact doesn't make them any less tragic. That being said, I also think scientists should work on making advancements in predicting weather (which I believe they are.) While there is currently some warning, it is not always enough, nor is it always accurate. Finally, the airport should, if it doesn't already, refund the tickets to passengers who didn't fly. Why pay the extremely high (and climbing) price of airline tickets only to end up not flying after all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the government should help these people to recover. At the same time it would cost a lot of money for the government to do it all. I think that we should also help out by donating money and supplies to orgeninsations that help out the people. I would like to know is the government helping or not?There is no way that we can prevent a storm form coming that is almost imposible but I believe that scientist should try their best to help predict when, where, and how strong these storms can be. I don't think that the airport is responsible to refund the people, but if they want their costumers to be happy they should refund their tickets. If I didn't get a refund for a ticket when the cause of not being able to fly on the plane then I wouldn't want to come back. Who would? I think the money that the people payed is what they sould give back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reflection: I think that that is really terrible and that a storm that big must have been very scary. I would be very scared, upset, and angry if a tornado ripped apart my town and house and no one did anything about it. I would want and need help cleaning up the neighborhood and repairing my home. I know I would not be able to do it alone. Personally, I would hate to have my roof missing and then to step outside and see shattered window, roofs, siding, and drywall all over my neighborhood. I think that those people are in a very scary situation because even though they will get their homes repaired, that may not happen immediately, and it may take some time to repair. I also feel like they need help in doing so, because like I said, I know I would not be able to fix my house myself.

    1. I think that the government should spend the money fixing those homes because the people did not cause the storm and tornado, and had no way of preventing it. Therefore, it is not there fault that their homes were destroyed and should not have to come up with the money for it. Especially now, when a lot of people are unemployed, you cannot be asking people to come up for large sums of money, when they did nothing wrong and had no way of preventing the accident from happening. Sometimes things happen that we have no one of controlling, and we need help getting out of those situations.

    2. Yes, I think scientists should try to come up with new techniques, equipment, and technology for monitoring and predicting natural disasters and storms. Then, we can make sure we are prepared ahead of time and can board up our homes, grab our valuables, and get out of town. I do not think there are any ways to prevent storms and natural disasters from occuring yet, so the only thing that we can do to prevent people from being injured is predict them and get out ahead of time.

    3. I think the airport should just give them new plane tickets to the same destination after the storm passes. Those people are obviously trying to get somewhere, and they need plane tickets to do so, and they aren't going anywhere (except maybe a hotel) until they get a plane. So if you just gave them refunds, they would have to go through the process of purchasing tickets again when the airport could just simply give the a new ticket on the same plane, same seat, to the same destination.

    1.

    ReplyDelete